Your air conditioner is one of the most important appliances in your home. It needs to run well. In this article, we’ll provide you with some air conditioning service tips & tricks you need to know to keep your unit working in peak condition. We hope they provide you with some relief.
- Energy.gov says that buying a bigger room air conditioner won’t make you feel more comfortable during the hot summer months. Rather, a room air conditioner that is too big for the area performs less efficiently than a smaller, properly sized unit. An oversized unit will cool the room to the thermostat set-point before dehumidification occurs which makes the room feel uncomfortable. Central air-conditioning units need to be sized by professionals.
- Set your temperature as high as comfortably possible during the summer. Between 72 and 78 degrees is best. If you can manage 78 degrees, you will be doing yourself – and the environment – a favor. It will help save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- You shouldn’t set your thermostat at a colder setting than normal when turning on your air conditioner. It will not cool your home faster. It could result in excessive cooling and create an unnecessary expense for you.
- It’s best not to place appliances that give off heat such as lamps or TVs near a thermostat.
- Inspect and clean both indoor and outdoor AC/heating coils. The indoor coil acts as a dust magnet because it’s constantly wet during the cooling season. Dirt build-up on the indoor coil is usually the cause of poor efficiency. Check the outdoor coil for dirt build-up. Clean both as needed.
- Call in an AC service contractor to check the refrigerant charge. If the system is over- or under-charged with refrigerant, it won’t work properly. An air conditioning service contractor can adjust accordingly. Don’t attempt to do it yourself.
- Use cost-effective conservation measures. Try to shade your east and west windows with trees and shrubs if at all possible. You should also delay heat-generating activities like baking or dishwashing until the evening hours when it’s automatically cooler.
- It’s not wise to use a dehumidifier at the same time as your air conditioner. A dehumidifier increases the cooling load and forces the air conditioner to work harder. This will increase your utility bill.
- During the hottest season of the year, keep your house closed tight during the day. At night, try to ventilate with fans or just by opening windows.
Proper maintenance of your air conditioner can save energy!
AIRMAX Heating & Air operates 24 hours a day, always ready to assist you with any heating and cooling needs you may have. We are a family owned Air Conditioner & Heating business and offer a Comprehensive air conditioning Service in Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester as South Carolina’s Top Choice!.
Call today for a FREE ac service estimate! (843) 614-3276