- In 1903, the New York Stock Exchange building in New York City was one of the first structures to use an air conditioner system.
- The development of the modern air conditioner has allowed for advances in medical technology, longer human life expectancy, reduction in the spread of diseases that were once very common and in warmer climates, dramatically increased employee productivity.
- The Romans were the first civilization to use any type of warm-air heating system.
- In 180 AD China, artisan Ding Huan invented a 10-foot wide rotary fan made of seven connected wheels. A single operator could power the device and cool an entire hall of people simply by turning a crank.
- The modern concept of the air conditioner was first conceived by Michael Faraday in 1820 when he discovered compressed and liquefied ammonia could chill air when it was allowed to evaporate.
- The development of the air conditioner was one of the biggest boosts to the movie industry, as movie theaters could get very uncomfortable in warm summer months.
- Architecture shifted due to the invention and widespread use of air conditioners, and many features that buildings used to have (high ceilings, brick structures, breezeways, sleeping porches, etc.) are now being replaced for less pricey solutions. Current structures are built to use an air conditioner, so they would be unbearable in the summer without artificial cooling features.
- Packard was the first automobile manufacturing company to incorporate air conditioners in their cars in 1936.
- The very first glimmering of the modern HVAC industry came way back in 1758, when Benjamin Franklin and John Hadley discovered that evaporating alcohol and other similar substances cools down objects enough to bring water to freezing temperatures.
- Did you ever wonder where the term “air conditioner” came from? In 1906, a North Carolina textile manufacturer came up with the phrase because the technology actually improved the quality and condition of the cloth being made in his plant. – americanweathermakers.com
AIRMAX Heating & Air operates 24 hours a day, always ready to assist you with any heating and cooling needs you may have. We are a family owned Air Conditioner & Heating business and offer a Comprehensive air conditioner Service in Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester as South Carolina’s Top Choice!.
Call today for a FREE estimate! (843) 614-3276