- Insulate: Temperatures in your attic can reach up to 150 degrees on hot days and can drive up the cost of your air conditioning service in Charleston by over 40 percent. Attics require R-22 insulation at a minimum, but the U.S. Department of Energy recommends that most homes, especially older, need to have more insulation added—closer to R-49, for proper cooling.
- Seal the Attic: Any recessed lighting, vents, plumbing, and windows in the attic need to be sealed to prevent air escaping. Six-mil polyethylene vapor barriers work great for sealing.
- Ventilate: One of the biggest problems that air conditioning service in Charleston companies see in old homes is not enough ventilation in the attic. Gable vents can lower the temperature in your attic by 10 degrees or more. Ridge and Soffit ventilation systems will keep your attic under 100 degrees, even without ductwork running to your attic for central air.
- Duct Work: One thing that air conditioning service in Charleston can do to ensure your attic stays cool in the summer is run ductwork to your attic from the central air if it doesn’t extend there already. You can also ask for a programmable thermostat to preset temperatures for various times of day.
- Fans: If you use your attic as a playroom, reading room, or even an extra bedroom, ceiling fans will greatly help reduce the heat. Ceiling fans, as well as box fans, and other types, help the air circulate while also cooling it down. If you use the attic frequently, you may consider a window air conditioning unit to assist with cooling.
News, Tips & Tricks
HVAC • Indoor Air Quality • Cooling & Heating
How To Keep Your Attic Cool in The Summer
One of the best things about the historic homes in South Carolina is the big, beautiful, multi-story homes that can transport visitors back to another era just by walking down the street. Many people want to purchase one of these amazing homes but don’t realize that keeping the attics cool is not always the easiest part of homeownership. Simple air conditioning service in Charleston is not always enough to keep your entire home cool, but there’s a few things you can do to help.
Who Is AirMAX?
We are a family-owned and operated HVAC service provider.
We proudly serve Charleston, SC & surrounding communities.
How Can We Help?
My team is ready to serve you in Charleston, SC, and surrounding communities.Request Service